9:1-5, 19b-22, 26-28
Ninth Sun. aft. Pentecost
Fountain of Life Luth. Ch
July 27, 1994
I. BARNABUS WAS A PERSON WHO ENCOURAGED OTHERS.
A. He was a convert from the island of Cyprus. (Acts 4:36-37)
1. Probably a rich man . . . Cyprian land was know for its richness.
2. His name was not originally Barnabus, it was Joseph.
a. Names were often changed to reflect a change in life.
b. Barnabus = Son of Encouragement.
B. He was encouraging through his faith:
1. It showed in his life . . . in the way he treated people.
2. It showed in his generousity . . . a way of encouraging others.
C. Who can we find to encourage today? This week?
1. ILLUS: Mr. Raba, Adolfo Camarillo High School
2. ILLUS: Pastor David Poovey, Glasgow, Mt.
II. BARNABUS WAS A PERSON WHO SAW THE GOOD IN OTHERS.
A. Imagine, standing up for the likes of Saul the persecutor!
1. ILLUS: Here's Charles Manson, he's reformed . . . would you take him home
to stay with your family?
2. Here's Saul, he reformed let's welcome him to our fellowship and work.
B. Who can I befriend today? This week?
1. Remember who we were before Christ changed us!
2. Should anyone have welcomed us into their home in that condition?
3. Christ has befriended us!
C. Can you remember someone who went to bat for you?
2. Jesus most certainly went to bat for us . . .
III. BARNABUS WAS WILLING TO SERVE IN THE BACKGROUND.
A. Antioch became a site of new Gentile faith.
1. Barnabus worked under the direction but in partnership with Paul there.
2. Barnabus brought Paul to meet their need to grow in the faith.
B. The Church still needs Barnabus' . . .
1. Consider the Barnabus' at work throughout Fountain of Life.
a. Organists c. Lectors e. Etc.
b. Ushers d. Music Directors/Groups
Copyright © 2003 CrossTies Counseling
All Rights Reserved